As consumers, we trust the products we use have been designed and tested to be safe, but that is not always the case. Defects that develop from the time a product is first conceived to the point where it reaches the store shelves can often pose a risk to consumers. Most recently, more than 40 million vehicles equipped with Takata airbags were recalled after they were shown to explode on impact, causing serious and fatal injuries to drivers. That is just one example of how a single flaw in a commonly used product can endanger the lives of many.
Types of Product Defects
When it comes to legal claims, there are three types of product defects:
- Design: These are flaws inherent in the product’s design. In these cases, the designer or manufacturer is liable for failing to create a safe product. In some states, plaintiffs must show that risk could have been avoided if the manufacturer used a reasonable alternative design that was feasible to produce.
- Manufacturing: These defects occur during the assembly or manufacturing process, despite the product’s design being safe. These unsafe products do not perform as they were intended to based on the product’s design. Manufacturing defects are the most common cause of products liability claims.
- Marketing: These include problems with the instructions or warnings that accompany the product. If consumers do not understand how to use a product and become injured as a result, the manufacturer may be liable for those injuries.
Potentially Unsafe Products
If you were hurt by a dangerous product or know someone who has, we recommend contacting a products liability lawyer experienced in handling claims for unsafe:
- Children’s toys and furniture
- Medical devices and implants
- Construction tools and machinery
- Car and truck parts
- Consumer goods
If you were injured by a product you assumed to be safe, your priority should be getting medical attention. It is important to keep all records of your injuries and care in case you decide to bring a products liability claim. Then, you should contact a products liability lawyer who can explain your options for pursing justice under the law.
LA Products Liability Lawyers at Abir Cohen Treyzon Salo, LLP Advocate for Consumers Hurt by Dangerous Products
As the Takata airbag recall shows, a single flaw in design or assembly can result in catastrophic injuries for an unwitting consumer. The LA products liability lawyers at Abir Cohen Treyzon Salo, LLP are committed to protecting the rights of clients injured by products they assumed to be safe. We do all it takes to hold companies accountable and recover damages for your pain, suffering, medical bills, and lost income for the injuries that could have been prevented. Call 833-ACTS- LAW or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Los Angeles and San Diego, California, we serve clients throughout Orange County and Los Angeles County, including Beverly Hills, Calabasas, Malibu, Santa Monica, Long Beach, Hidden Hills, Pasadena, San Marino, Brentwood, Encino, Newport Beach, and Foresthill.