Douglas A. Rochen create new email
Douglas Rochen is a strategic partner responsible for the firm’s catastrophic injury practice. Doug was an integral part of bringing ACTS Law together as a new firm. As one of the firm’s litigation trial lawyers, he prides himself on creating a focused, comprehensive solution to his clients’ needs and goals, while maintaining a commitment to professional and personal excellence.
For the past 20+ years, he has developed a reputation for efficiently conducting cases to obtain the best results for his clients having spent the first part of his career as a defense lawyer in the areas of trucking accidents, wrongful death, products liability, sexual abuse, traumatic brain injury, paralysis, catastrophic orthopedic loss, amputation, mass tort disaster, sensory loss, civil rights, premises liability, and pharmaceutical litigation.
Doug believes in a more aggressive, proactive pursuit of cases, in terms of seeking information professionally and engaging the opposition respectfully. He always seeks to obtain the maximum value for his clients, be it through a negotiated settlement or resolution via trial. With ACTS Law, Doug also works as a strategist for cases, helping the firm develop a plan of action and tactics in pursuit. He has also been involved with helping the firm refine how they assess and acquire new cases, both through the public and from other firms.
“Doug truly cares about his clients.”
The compassion that he gives to each and every client is truly amazing. Doug will go above and beyond for his clients and be one of the best advocates they have.
Work for Firm
Doug has been involved in a variety of civil litigations. His case work includes:
- Sexual abuse allegations against a sheriff’s office that uncovered widespread abuse against communities of color and prior arrested persons
- Injured cyclist who was struck by a delivery van that utilized a new law to include the drug manufacturer as a responsible party and created a larger award for the client
- Civil rights abuses against law enforcement officers accused of turning off body cameras and assaulting a resident
- Decades-old sexual abuse claims in California of a teacher who abused students as minors
- Consumer personal injury over a failed distribution of recall notices, leading to a life-changing motorcycle injury
- Multiple consumer defective product cases over a small home appliance responsible for a variety of injuries from poor product design
Doug believes in bringing empathy and understanding to all clients and pursuing claims with personal attention. He strives to bring positive change with his cases and help improve society. He takes great pride in being an advocate for the underprivileged and those injured by individuals abusing their power.
“Diligent in approach, yet thoughtful in execution.“
Doug is a great legal resource who effectuates positive results on behalf of his clients. All this while mentoring associates and paralegals alike. Doug is a true team-player.
- Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC)
- Member, 2012 – Present
- Downtown Los Angeles Bar Association (DTLABA)
- Past President
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA)
- American Association of Justice (AAJ)
- Member, 2001- Present
- New Leadership Counsel
- Fellow Bar Admission
- California Western School of Law
- J.D. – 2001
- University of Michigan
- Bachelor of Arts – 1998
- Graduated with Honors
- Dean’s List
- California State and District Court
Outside of the firm, Doug is seen as an active leader in the local and state legal community. He has been a member of the American Association of Justice (AAJ) since 2011. He has also been involved with the Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC) since 2011 as a board member, where he works to make sure the little guys stay protected from corporate and insurance abuses. Doug was also selected to a leadership fellowship program through the New Leadership Council for young attorneys to serve as future leaders. He also is planning to co-chair a committee at AAJ to advise on drug and alcohol abuse legislation.
Locally, Doug has served as a past president of the Downtown Los Angeles Bar Association (DTLABA). The group was formed in 2015 to help reduce the adversarial nature of civil litigation and help attorneys network through events. Doug has also been a member of the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, the largest local plaintiffs’ association in the country. CAALA provides education, networking, and support for civil attorneys who work to protect consumers from faulty products and negligent practices.
Doug has authored over a dozen legal and other articles for multiple publications over the years on a variety of subjects. He believes writing articles based on prior casework helps peers and clients recognize his dedication to his work. Doug graduated with honors from the University of Michigan in 1998 and was on the Dean’s List as an undergraduate. He earned his J.D. in 2001 from the California Western School of Law.
Verdicts & Settlements
- $14.5 Million – Personal injury settlement from bike accident
- $7 Million – Sexual assault settlement
- $5.55 Million – Personal injury settlement against negligent building manager for fall out of faulty window
- $4.5 Million – Personal injury settlement from a car accident
- $4.5 Million – Personal injury settlement from defective household appliance.
- $3.9 Million – Medical malpractice settlement for after-birth care on newborn
- $3.5 Million – Traumatic brain injury settlement following assault outside bar by private security
- Daily Journal – For Sexual Misconduct, A Higher Standard for Law Enforcement Title (May 12, 2017)
- Daily Journal – Jurors Imposing Liability Against Employers: A Case Study (September 29, 2016)
- Daily Journal – Employer Expands Responsibility for Worker Commutes (August 31, 2016)
- Daily Journal – Non-Delegable Duty of Logistics Broker Carriers in California (March 16, 2016)
- The Advocate – The Power-Press Exception to Workers’ Comp Exclusive Remedy (November 17, 2015)
- California Lawyer – Are You Liable for Serving Alcohol to a Drunken Driver? (July 2015)
- Daily Journal – Courts Wrangling with Contours of Social Host Liability (February 10, 2015)
- Daily Journal – Privileged Rides are Still Common Carriers (August 6, 2014)
- Daily Journal – Choice of Law Under the Government Interest Approach (March 15, 2013)
- Daily Journal – When Removal Occurs Despite Local Defendant (August 7, 2013)
- The Advocate – The Effective Use of Experts in Products-Liability Cases (November 01, 2012)
- The Recorder – Don’t Forget About Me (August 30, 2012)
- Daily Journal – Are Hospital Blood Alcohol Tests Valid Medical Records? (May 24, 2012)
- Daily Journal – Landlords… You Should Have ‘Seen’ It Coming (January 04, 2012)
- Daily Journal – Hiding Behind the Mask of the Attorney Client Privilege (August 16, 2011)
LET US HELP
At Abir Cohen Treyzon Salo, LLP, our skilled and knowledgeable attorneys represent victims in a broad array of case types. We are trial tested and zealous advocates for the rights of our clients. See how we’ve helped others, and how we can help you.